Franscica Gawugah Duncan Williams, popularly known as Sista Afia, was born on 7th January 1993. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Duncan Williams. She has the curves of a queen and the attitude of a matriarch. Her sense of self overwhelms any doubts about her capacity as an artist and her compassion downplays any thoughts one may have against her humble nature.
Sista Afia has overcome numerous bottlenecks in Ghana’s entertainment scene to become a big brand in the country. People celebrate her not only for her creativity, but also for her ability to connect with fans. Many people know her, but not too well. This piece is about to change all this. The subsequent paragraphs will inform you all you need to know about her.
- Name: Franscica Gawugah Duncan Williams
- Stage name: Sista Afia
- Gender: Female
- Birthday: 7th January 1993
- Origin: Accra, Ghana, London, United Kingdom
- Age: 26
- Occupation: Musician
- Genres: Indie rock, Afrobeat, alternative rock, highlife
- Labels: BK Records/Ace Kandi Records
Sista is a musician who grew up in Kumasi town of the Ghanaian cocoa triangle. She is born into a family of liberal minded parent who support her creative work. In one of her Instagram videos, her mother is seen dancing to her single Weather, which she features Medikal and Quamina MP. This not only proves that her mother is her great supporter, but also that Sista Afia Weather is a track worth dancing to.
She is also the niece to a popular Ghanaian cleric, Bishop Nicholas Duncan Williams, who is her mentor and a close family member. Being a relative to a pastor comes with a societal expectations, mostly holiness and righteousness. Afia has gone on to say her relationship with her uncle has nothing to do with her life as a pop star. She opines that she has a different purpose in life from that of her uncle. Her purpose is to be a musician.
Sista Afia is a classic case of beauty and brains. She went through Ghana’s education system with much success and became a nurse. She attended:
- Reverend John Teye Memorial Institute
- Afia Kobi Ampem Girls
- Angel Education Centre
She later moved to the United Kingdom, where she pursued her further studies, specializing in nursing. She, however, felt that her calling was not in the area of nursing. She turned to music which seemed like a greater gift from her to the world. And it is for this reason that she began singing.
With a special love for rock and her unique African culture, she creatively combined these two to create a whole new form of music. For this, most of her music tell African stories to other parts of the world. This earned her a loyal fan base in the United Kingdom despite not being her homeland.
She is currently based in Ghana, a reality that has done little to limit her reach to her European fans. She continues to perform and engage with her European fans in ways one would never have thought possible thanks to the internet. She is one of the key promoters of Afropop in Europe. Through her work, many young artists have cropped up and are now telling the African story through their music; and the world is listening.
She started a Shisha lounge and restaurant to treat those with a heart for finer things in life. She, however, feels she can still put her nursing skills to good use and help children in the future.
Partners and relationship
Little is known about her partners. One thing though, the world knows that her ex-boyfriend is foolish. Yes, you read this right. When Zionfelix.net asked Ghanians to say something about their ex-partners, Sista Afia had only two words to write, “Foolish Man.” There is no doubt that her ex-lover still makes her turn at night for all the wrong reasons.
Genres of music
She specializes in the following genres of music:
- British Indie rock (which deals with independent record labels)
- Alternative rock
- Afrobeat music
- Afropopwhich is her main specialization.
She has also featured other dancehall artists in her music with enormous luck. Sista Afia Jeje featuring Afezi Perry and Shatta Wale, who are both dancehall artists, went ahead to become a big hit in Ghana.
Sista Afia songs
Her claim to fame was Jeje. This debut in her music career saw her feature other artists from other genres infusing a sense of diversity in her music.
This song shows her growth in the industry. Her creativity is top-notch and her choice of words is right. Press play and get blown away.
Apart from Slay Queen, these are some of her well known songs:
- KroKro Nowhere in which she featured BisaKidei
- Bokoorr where she featured Medikal
- Pass U
- Obi Boy
- Sista Afia Slay Queen
- Conner Conner
Despite the good prospects of more money and facilities in Europe, she returned to Ghana to pursue her music career. The twenty-six-year-old found it appropriate to give to the community that raised her by establishing her music career in Ghana.
Concerts are a key part of the building and showcasing a sustainable music brand. Sista Afia know this too well. She has performed in a number of concerts and shows both organized by her management and other entities.
She is, however, remembered for these shows:
- Ghana meets Naija concert – She did this project back in 2017, where she performed both in her home country of Ghana and the United Kingdom.
- Vodafone VIM launch
- BisaKdei High Life Konnect Concert
- Despite and Special Health Fair
- Ghana Music Awards, which was held in the United Kingdom
- BHIM Concert
- WarsUp Tv Legon Hall Week Artist Night concert
- Female Music of The Year Award where she won three awards
- Social Media Music Award both in the Best Female Act and Album of The Year categories.
- 3rd Television Music Video Awards 2018, where she won Best Hiplife Video and Best Female Hiplife Video.
With less than ten years as an established artist, these awards mean a lot to her. You do not meet many artists of her age with such achievements. Her success in the music space is indisputable.
Sista Afia major video projects and their directors
- Conner Conner, which is one of her most popular videos, is directed by Xbliliz Ebenezer. She features Kelvynboy in the video.
- She has also worked with the famous Sarkodie.
- Champion Atta, which she sang in 2018, was produced by Steve Gyamfi.
- Her performance during the Despite and Special Health Fair also led to a video project which was directed by the remarkable Santiago.
- Slay Queen, which has made her a sensation to many young people, was produced and directed by Eddie Kumako.
- Pass U video where she features Medikal was directed by Yaw Face and Bokoor by Prince Dovlo. Most of her debut tracks were directed by Prince Dolvo. Dolvo directed Yiwan, Are You Ready, and KroKro, where she features the phenomenal BisaKdei. Her claim to fame, Jeje, was directed by Yaw Skyface.
Her Instagram page is a diary of her best moment captured in lenses. She accepts her flaws and embraces them quite well. She likes attention, and there is nothing wrong with that. After all, human beings are social beings, and much of her validation as a musician comes from her fans and partners.
Sista Afia is an artist with a lot of promise. Her audience, which stretches outside the African continent, is an ode to her thriving music career. Based on her previous work, one can only look forward to more life-changing music from her in the future.