- Futsal Africa Cup of Nations 2020 to take place in Laayoune, Morocco, from 28 January to 7 February
- Three FIFA Futsal World Cup places up for grabs
- Between them, Egypt, Libya and Morocco won the five previous editions
For only the third time since it was first staged in 1989, the FIFA Futsal World Cup™ will feature three African teams at its 2020 edition.
Prior to the 2012 edition, CAF had been allocated just one (1992, 1996, 2000, 2004) or two (1989, 2008) berths. The three teams who will fly the flag for the Mother Continent at the next edition in Lithuania will be decided at the upcoming CAF Futsal Africa Cup of Nations.
With the regional qualifying event just days away, FIFA.com takes a closer look at the participants in what promises to be a particularly competitive tournament, featuring the winners of the five editions held so far: Egypt (3 titles), Libya (1) and Morocco (1).
CAF Futsal Africa Cup of Nations 2020
- Dates: 28 January to 7 February 2020
- Host city: Laayoune, Morocco
- Eight teams divided into two groups of four. The top two from each group qualify for the semi-finals
- At stake: winners, runners-up and third-placed side all qualify for the FIFA Futsal World Cup Lithuania 2020
What they said…
“I cannot promise victories, but we’re going to treat every game like it was a final. I’m certain there are good players in our squad. The inclusion of players based in Europe means this team can spring a surprise.”
Equatorial Guinea coach Ricardo Iniguez Calabuig
“This tournament will be notable for the intensity of the competition, given the participation of top teams like Egypt, Libya, Angola and Mozambique. But our squad are serious contenders to win the title and ensure our place at the next World Cup.”
Morocco coach Hicham Dekik
“It’s an honour to participate in a Futsal CAN, as it’s been 40 years since we reached the final phase of a continental tournament.”
Mauritian Football Federation President Soubha Samir