Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Boamah Otokunor insists the ongoing voters’ registration exercise has so far been marred by several challenges.
Speaking in an interview MyNewsGh.com, he indicated that the challenges are likely to deny potential registrants the opportunity to be on the electoral roll.
“The process has generally been unsatisfactory because of the ill-preparedness of the Electoral Commission. From day one, we knew that we were going to go into this crisis, and as we speak according to the plan of the commission we were supposed to have about 6700 centers to start with but now we are doing some little over 3300,” he told Citi TV in an interview monitored MyNewsGh.com.
But Evans Nimako, the Director of Research and Elections of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), speaking on the same show said the figure is from the party’s own collation of the number of voters’ captured in the ongoing exercise.
The Commission began the compilation of the new voters’ register on Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
Mr. Nimako said per their data, 520,000 so far been registered and issued with their ID cards. He thus described the process as a success.
“I think day one and day two, what we have seen so far is encouraging, however, I am not too surprised by the position of Peter Boamah Otukunor [who was also on The Point of View]. This is a program they never supported. I’m surprised that as of now, checking from our database, we are having almost five hundred and twenty thousand people registered,” he stated.
The registration, which will be conducted across six thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight clusters simultaneously will be completed on August 6, 2020.
Source: MyNewsGh.com/Michael Agyapong Agyapa/2020