Well after four years of almost continuous turmoil, there can be one thing said about what we should have learned, how broken our political system is, from the bottom to the top. What we should be working on is how to fix it. With that, I want to list a few things that might help:
- Politics was never meant to be a career but a public service. Term limits should be imposed on all elected offices.
- Age limits should be implied to run for public office. Before 35 you have too few life experiences, and after 75 you have forgotten most of them.
- All lobbying should be outlawed. It is nothing but a form of legal bribery.
- Limits should be placed on campaign spending. Give the little guy a chance instead of always having to go with the rich.
- Do away with the electoral college and go with the popular vote. Seems to work in all other elections.
- All candidates for national office should have to pass a mental fitness test. Need I say more?
- Lastly, our political parties need to change. Example: You shouldn’t have to be for abortion to be a Democrat and against immigration to be a Republican. So many good people are being left out because of the stances that our main political parties take.
Will any of these things ever get done? Probably not, but wouldn’t it be great if they did?
Steve Jones, Springfield